Friday 21 October 2016

Intro

Welcome to my Blog. The ongoing adventures of Silver and his dad. Silver is a 10 year old husky mix. And the dad? That would be me.

First, a bit about me. I had lost my previous dog Daniel in 2014 and was not ready to be a doggy dad again. That said, I didn't like the thought of other dogs having to stay in a cage while they waited for their furrever homes. So I became a foster for one misfit after another. A German Shepherd. Pit bulls. A white deaf boxer. One after another they stayed with me until someone stepped up to adopt them. Sure enough, each one found a home. Each one except the last one ...  Silver.

Silver had a pretty tough life. He had been kept in a cage almost of his life. Seven years to be precise. He rarely got to connect with other people or dogs. Never saw a vet. Never slept on a bed or had his own stocking filled with treats at Christmas. He just spent day after day, month after month and year after year hidden away from the world. If the Island of Misfit Toys had a mascot, it would have been Silver.

Eventually Silver became too old for his shelter and new lodgings had to be found for the old boy. A local rescue asked me to keep him until a new home could be found. "Sure", I said. I mean after all, how long could that take?

I soon found out that no one wants to adopt an old dog. People want puppies or at least nothing over 2. Playful scamps that can be trained to sit, fetch, play dead, get the paper, fix a martini, do taxes, etc.  Old dogs mean vet bills. Bad habits. And since their time is shorter, heartbreak. After 2 months, I began to realize that an adoption application was probably never going to come. So I decided to adopt the old boy. A quick signature on a form and 200 bucks later, I was a doggy dad again.

So, did Silver turn out to be the typical old dog? The one who lies around all day except to eat and pee? Hardly. His energy level is matched only by his attitude. He has me up bright and early every morning and wants to be walked right up until midnight. Oh and those short old man walks I was hoping for? Uh, no. Anything short of 5 KM a day will be profoundly disappointing to him. I have seriously gone through 3 pairs of sneakers since I met him. He's a pistol.

So essentially this is my life with Silver. It's his world and I'm just re-filling his dog dish. And don't think he doesn't remind me.



No comments:

Post a Comment